    RE: iSCSI: Partial Session Consensus

    David,

    I still have to dig through all the messages (my mail system
    was broken for a day), so I don't know if there is anything
    that will change my mind.

    But let me record a preliminary objection to the (1). I think
    there are benefits to command reference numbers and sliding
    window -

    First, I would like to argue assuming that the current
    implementations of targets and initiators may not necessarily
    be the best way of achieving max throughput on iSCSI,
    considering the range of latencies that are possible.
    Then of course, memory has become cheaper - and protocol
    hardware implementations more and more complex.

    So what may be ideal is where we allow the initiator and
    target to be streaming commands, data and responses, with
    some means of avoiding trouble all the time.

    1. A management of the command queue depth should enable
    better utilization of the pipeline by enabling streaming
    of commands without going into the recovery case all the
    time.

       iSCSI is better for this that the SCSI layer. The SCSI
       layer can keep posting commands and data buffers to the
       iSCSI adapter, and the iSCSI adapter can then manage
       when to send more commands. Otherwise, this information
       would have to bump up to the host, and the host would
       then post more commands to the iSCSI adapter - increasing
       workload and latency

       It also lets performance vary by amount of memory in the
       array etc rather than depend on some historic algorithm
       implemented in the initiator.

    2. Numbering in general will make recover from command drops
       easier. As mentioned by Costa, myself and others, if the
       initiator drops a command, it drops all commands from
       then on, sends a notification to the initiator, who
       then sends an ack of the condition, and starts sending
       commands from the dropped command. The target may
       accompany the drop notification with a reduction in the
       command window.

    This minimizes the possibility of command queue overflow
    (and deadlock), while allowing as much throughput as
    possible based on implementation (algorithm and memory)
    choices.

    Somesh