    RE: Command Queue Depth (was asymmetric/Symmetric)

    Peter,

    I fact we did. The SBP solution is for the target to grab the commands from
    initiator memory.
    Obviously that doesn't work too good if you attempt to "hide latency" - so
    we attempted
    a scheme with command credits - to allow several commands to be in flight.
    But then we observed that with one control connection (that was before
    Adelaide)
    the TCP receiver window will give us this function for free.
    And as things are now we still consider that the TCP receive window (even
    for several
    connections) gives you the same overal effect (through back pressure).
    The trouble we are having is with the blocking conditions out of order
    delivery may cause
    and how to best avoid them.  We have now decent mechanisms to avoid/handle
    deadlocks
    for both the asymmetric and the symmetric scheme - although they are
    definitely "cleaner"
    for the asymmetric scheme (you do things in the order mandated by the
    control channel).

    Julo

    Peter Johansson <PJohansson@ACM.org> on 10/09/2000 14:38:07

    Please respond to Peter Johansson <PJohansson@ACM.org>