    RE: Symmetric vs Asymmetric

    > "VonStamwitz, Paul" wrote:
    > > I agree with David. I oppose a two connection minimum.

    [Matt Wakeley]
    > I disagree. Initial implementations and cheap hardware will
    > have the iSCSI
    > implementation in software.  It is easy to do anything in
    > software - open a
    > thousand connections, perhaps hundreds of thousands, one per
    > each LU, it
    > doesn't care - it just uses up more memory.
    >
    > However, for the high performance implementations that will
    > implement iSCSI in
    > hardware, doing a function one way sometimes, and another
    > other times, will
    > require more hardware and more testing (by both the hardware
    > vendors and the
    > value add vendors) to test both functions.

    If immediate data on writes is supported, won't you have to support both
    functions anyways? If the target (or initiator) chooses which connection to
    transfer data, why can't the command/status connection be one of the
    choices?

    > One connection per LU also has the huge issue of requiring
    > lots of on-hardware
    > resources and memory to maintain the hundreds or thousands of
    > connections that
    > will be required.... and you want a cost competitive solution?

    I stated before that the resource issues preclude mandating a connection per
    LU. But if resources allow it, it's not a bad way to operate.

    -Paul