    Re: iSCSI version info

    > A version negotiation scheme was suggested by Mark Bakke's 29 Jun
    > 2000 e-mail.
    >
    > Is there any plans to support a mechanism like this in the next iSCSI draft?

    I can never figure out which side of this argument to be on.

    The basic version idea seems sound, but the problem is that for
    various reasons, the version number never ends up getting moved.  For
    example, if I recall, FC-PH seemed to go through many version numbers
    long before it was ever widely implemented, and now it's stabilized at
    version 4.3.  I have never known any implementations that did anything
    other than 4.3.

    In ST, we went back and forth numerous times.  We ultimately decided
    that we were going to stipulate that a reved protocol was a new
    protocol, so no version negotiation would be necessary.  The logic for
    ST went that hardware accelerated protocols are on thin ice if they
    think they can rev.  You're almost always going to work around
    existing protocol bugs before you ever `fix' the protocol, so the
    standards committees better be sure of themselves before they forward.
    I think iSCSI is in this same position.

    FWIW

    Steph