    RE: FC over IP: Requirements

    Marjorie,

    Congestion avoidance and protocol level fragmentation to name but a few of
    the many features required for robust use on IP would still be offered by
    this SCTP extension.  Although possible after man years of work on new UDP
    or raw datagram protocols, SCTP provides a uniform means to obtain common
    features desired in object (messaging) protocols of which FC is but one.
    The removal of retransmit limits dispersion in time of such messages but
    places the burden on a less effective retry mechanism unaware of the packet
    loss until extensive timeouts.

    Doug