    FC over IP: Requirements

    Hello all,

    The authors of the FC over IP draft are still in the process of trying to
    reformulate the requirements for the FC over IP draft.  In addition,
    (according to what I have been told), the decision for where the FC over IP
    work item is to be hosted is still being discussed.  It may be placed in the
    IPS working group, or the decision may be made to place it elsewhere. In
    order to try to minimize confusion, the other authors and I have been
    talking offline, while monitoring these lists.

    That said, we list below some of what we (the authors of the FC over IP
    draft) have been talking about wrt FC over IP requirements:

    The basic premise of the FC over IP draft remains unchanged --

    Have a high speed IP based interconnect which will bridge FC traffic between
    two (or more) SAN islands, such that only the edge devices are aware of the
    fact that tunneling of FC frames over IP is being performed.

    Included in the initial draft was the following assumption:
    The backbone would be at least as reliable and at least as fast as the FC
    fabric itself.  With such a restriction, it was expected that congestion
    control would not be necessary.

    At the Pittsburgh meeting, it was mandated that FC over IP would include
    congestion management of some form.  In addition, a few people have
    indicated that they expect that this would be run over a lower speed
    backbone than the fabric itself.  So, we are investigating options,
    including looking at the various transport mechanisms, as well as other
    non-transport related mechanisms to perform congestion management.

    As mentioned before, FC over IP is intended (i.e. being written with the
    assumption that) this protocol will be implemented in a switch device.
    There will be no prohibitions against implementing in a different type of
    device, such as an edge device, it will simply not be optimized for
    implementation in an edge device.

    Keeping that a switch topology is the target, the addition of transport
    support/mechanism to an otherwise level 2 type switch seems to the authors
    to be expensive, especially if retries as specified in many of the
    transports is required.  Expensive in terms of additional overhead to add
    the transport to every FC frame as well as additional hardware requirements.

    Another issues that needs to be considered w.r.t. use of a transport is a
    transport level retry mechanism.  Some transports do not provide a means by
    which retries can be turned off, plus are dynamic in their timeout values
    (e.g. when retries are invoked).   If retries are required to be handled in
    the transport due to transport design (e.g. we use a transport such as TCP,
    where retries cannot be turned off), we feel it may conflict with upper
    level exception handling (as mentioned in the 02 draft) as well as create a
    cost (financial as well as engineering wise) prohibitive requirement for
    buffering of packets at the FC over IP SWITCH while waiting for
    acknowledgements.  This is especially when RTT can be on the order of
    seconds (e.g. approaches RA_TOV). It is for this very reason we are trying
    to consider the various options available to us.  We are considering ECM,
    ECN, SCTP, TCP as well as other mechanisms.  We are monitoring the iSCSI
    threads regarding Transport for their applicability to this draft as well.
    While we cannot guarantee that the FC over IP draft will follow the
    transport method iSCSI selects, it will be considered in the analysis for FC
    over IP.

    There has never been any intention for this draft to be constrained to a
    private network, though that is a possible/plausible environment.  There was
    the assumption of a well engineered network though. This requirement is
    being omitted, due to both feedback from attendees of the ipfc presentation
    as well as direction from the ADs.

    Summary of Requirements for FC over IP (from the authors' perspective)

    First Draft:
    (1) FC and IP devices can be used in conjunction with an 'FC over IP'
    compliant edge device UNMODIFIED to bridge traffic between FC islands over
    an IP based backbone.
    (2) FC over IP compliant devices will support some form of congestion
    management.
    (3) FC over IP compliant devices will support authentication of the FC over
    IP devices before the tunnel shall be established.

    Other possible requirements, which will most likely be deferred to a follow
    on draft:
    (4) Dynamic discovery of other FC over IP edge devices.
    (5) Data Encryption support.

    Additional requirements are also being sought from the Fibre Channel
    community.  A new effort has recently been chartered in the T11
    organization, FC-BB2 (Fibre Channel BackBone 2). This group will be used to
    solicit further requirements for FC over IP.  FC-BB2 will be a companion
    specification to FC over IP and will leverage work done in FC over IP.  It
    will not redefine/conflict with FC over IP, but instead will identify and
    define amendments to certain FC documents/values to allow greater distance
    and performance to be attained over an FC over IP backbone.  FC devices will
    not be required to be FC-BB2 compliant in order to work with FC over IP
    (this would violate the basic premise of this work), but should a customer
    choose to upgrade their FC network to comply with FC-BB2, they could expect
    better performance and longer distances to be attained.  Specifically, media
    specific issues, speed of light vs. timeout issues, BB credit issues, among
    others will be addressed in this specification.

    Notes:
    (1) Indicates that FC devices CAN be used unmodified in conjunction with FC
    over IP. FC-BB2 will address FC specific issues, and will identify and
    define amendments to certain FC documents/values to allow for greater
    distance/performance to be attained.
    (2) Retries need to be addressed.  It needs to be determined if retries
    support at the transport level, should a transport be included, need to be
    required, optional or prohibited.  The authors believe much of this decision
    is dependent on how retries are defined by the selected transport.  If it
    can be insured that the selected transport retry mechanism will not conflict
    with other retry mechanisms, then it may be valuable to support.  On the
    other hand, if requirement of retry support makes the FC over IP device an
    unattractive solution, due to prohibitive costs associated with implementing
    retry, then it should not be supported.

    The authors plan to come back with recommendations as well as an initial FC
    over IP draft that addresses the new requirements.

    Please direct any feedback or input to the authors (egrodriguez@lucent.com,
    muralir@lightsand.com, rajb@lightsand.com, and marjorie.krueger@vixel.com)
    as well as to the ips(ips@ece.cmu.edu) and ipfc(ipfc@standards.gadzoox.com)
    mailing lists.

    Thanks,

    Elizabeth G. Rodriguez              Marjorie Krueger
    Lucent Technologies                 Vixel Corporation

    Murali Rajagopal                    Raj Bhagwat
    LightSand Communications            LightSand Communications