    Re: Connection Consensus Progress

    Hi,

    John Hufferd interpreted my point correctly and set me straight on
    "wedge" drivers (thanks, John) -- a software component in the iSCSI
    driver that load balances across multiple HBA TCPs.

    Of course, it may be a challenge to get anyone but a second-rate
    engineer to build something as unbeautiful as a "wedge" driver,
    fating it to be a single-point potentially more buggy than the
    HBAs themselves. As an added bonus, the fault profile would
    be software, rather than fail-stop hardware (which top firmware
    engineering in the HBA could present to the iSCSI driver).

    -Chris

    >Chris,
    >
    >Could you elaborate?
    >
    >Julo
    >
    >Christopher Stein - Network Storage <Christopher.Stein@east.sun.com> on
    >26/08/2000 23:53:13
    >
    >Please respond to Christopher Stein - Network Storage
    >      <Christopher.Stein@east.sun.com>
    >
    >To:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    >cc:    (bcc: Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM)
    >Subject:  Re: Connection Consensus Progress
    >

    >Julian,
    >
    >If one of the reasons for supporting multiple TCP connections is
    >to allow load balancing across HBAs for fault tolerance, this
    >reason will be lost as the TCP processing moves down into the HBA.
    >
    >My understanding was that TCP on a chip technology is desired for
    >high-performance iSCSI. If this is the case, then multiple
    >connections for tolerance of HBA faults is a misfired bullet.
    >
    >-Chris

    >>From: julian_satran@il.ibm.com
    >>To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    >>Subject: Re: Connection Consensus Progress
    >>

    >>David,
    >>
    >>I understand and share your concerns about how good we understand the
    >>requirements for recovery and balancing.
    >>
    >>But as I stated repeatedly we can't wait for somebody else to solve our
    >>problem and the
    >>field requirement is there as witnessed by the products that attempt to
    >>solve it in a
    >>proprietary fashion (and BTW a TCP connection failure could also be
    >>repaired simply by
    >>TCP but TCP does not do it).
    >>
    >>However if they are there the both sets have to be solved at SCSI level -
    >>since several links
    >>if not handled properly increase the failure probability.
    >>
    >>However your last point about multiple HBAs is lost on me.
    >>We attempted to make iSCSI work with several HBAs and went to some length
    >>to keep
    >>the requirements to the HBA hardware as if the HBAs act independently
    >>(counters can be
    >>shared). Is there something we missed?
    >>
    >>Julo
    >>
    >>David Robinson <David.Robinson@EBay.Sun.COM> on 25/08/2000 23:32:23
    >>
    >>Please respond to David Robinson <David.Robinson@EBay.Sun.COM>
    >>
    >>To:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    >>cc:    (bcc: Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM)
    >>Subject:  Re: Connection Consensus Progress
    >>

    >>> I agree with you up to a point.  I know of customers that always need
    >>> multiple physical paths to the Storage Controller.  Regardless of how
    >>fast
    >>> the link is, they need a faster link, and these hosts need to be able to
    >>> spread the load across several different HBAs.  (Some are on one PCI
    >bus,
    >>> and some on another, etc.)  When this happens, as it does today, with
    >>Fibre
    >>> Channel, we are required, as are a number of other vendors, to come up
    >>with
    >>> a multi HBA balancer.  We call our Fibre Channel version "DPO" (Dynamic
> [...]

    ---

    Christopher A. Stein 	(cstein@east.sun.com)
    Network Storage, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    BUR02-213 1 Network Dr.