    Re: Connection Consensus Progress

    David,
    I agree with you up to a point.  I know of customers that always need
    multiple physical paths to the Storage Controller.  Regardless of how fast
    the link is, they need a faster link, and these hosts need to be able to
    spread the load across several different HBAs.  (Some are on one PCI bus,
    and some on another, etc.)  When this happens, as it does today, with Fibre
    Channel, we are required, as are a number of other vendors, to come up with
    a multi HBA balancer.  We call our Fibre Channel version "DPO" (Dynamic
    Path Optimizer), EMC has another version (I do not know what they call
    theirs).  This Code sits as a "Wedge" Driver above the FC Device Drivers
    and balances the work across the different FC HBAs.  I think this same
    thing will be required in the iSCSI situation.  Note:I think, the FC
    versions only work with IBM or EMC's etc. Controllers.  (SUN probably has a
    similar one also.)

    If possible I would like to avoid adding a vendor specific wedge driver, or
    better yet avoid any kind of an additional wedge driver with the iSCSI, by
    building the same capabilities into the Transport layer.

    Having said that, I would like to see the multiple Connection per Session
    (as it applies to multiple Ethernet Ports) kept in the spec. with the
    understanding that one connection per session is a proper subset.  If we
    did that, the simpler and early implementations can get to market quickly,
    and we can use things like DPO for a while.  I would just like vendors that
    could write the multiple connection iSCSI Device Drivers  to  actually do
    it, and then load balance between the HBAs without depending on external
    Wedge Device Drivers.

    .
    .
    .