    unsubscribe

    -----Original Message-----
    From: John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM [mailto:hufferd@us.ibm.com]
    Sent: vendredi 18 aout 2000 10:03
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: FC/IP vs. iSCSI & Towards Consensus on TCP Connections

    I agree with Kalman, and I think he stated it well.  Further, we had -- I
    thought -- a Schedule for focus items, on which we were to concentrate.  I
    think we are straying into distance corners, and it is not clear that this
    is useful.  If it were possible to either separate the FC on IP stuff, or
    perhaps delay this discussion I think it will be very useful (Note I did
    not say ignore).  I think we need to focus on the iSCSI protocols and
    refine it as we think it should be, and try to meet the direction and
    schedule that David Black laid out.

    I understand that some folks want to have many TCP connections to a storage
    entity, including at least one TCP/IP connection per LUNs.  I think it has
    been agreed by Julian that iSCSI will support that, with some extensions
    which he suggested.  Even though most folks will not implement their
    Storage Controllers in that manor, I think that issue is perhaps settled.
    Julian could perhaps restate the change that would make the TCP per LUN
    folks (if more then one) happy. This may permit us to really move off of
    point "A" (specified by David Black as "Should iSCSI require a TCP
    connection per LUN?").  If that is so, then I also submit that we have not
    been focusing enough time on point "B" ("Should iSCSI have a session
    abstraction that binds multiple TCP connections into one iSCSI connection?
    ").   I would like to hear from folks that believe that iSCSI does not
    support any number of conversations per session.  I say this because I
    thought iSCSI could support one or more TCP/IP connections per session.
    Therefore, the various implementers can decide on what they will support --
    one, or more then one, compatibly with any other implementations since one
    connection per session is the default.  I say default since the target can
    refuse or accept more then one connection per session.

    So I would like to understand if this is acceptable -- especially since as
    we have seen that working group  have both positions represented (one &
    more then one).

    I think that it might be correct  that the current spec satisfies the need
    enough to say that point "B" has been addressed.
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd

    meth@il.ibm.com@ece.cmu.edu on 08/18/2000 12:03:49 AM