    Re: Requirements specification

    > I don't think network channel speeds are increasing briskly. Ethernet was 10
    > Mb/s in 1980, 100 Mb/s in 1990, and 1 Gb/s in 2000. These are slow
    > infrastructural step functions.

    Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.

    The reason the generation cycle for edge channel technology (Ethernet)
    has not been faster over the past 20 years is lack of demand.

    In the 80s and 90s the giants were platform vendors, and the bulk of
    the smaller hardware companies also produced platform-related things.
    Not many of those companies left.  On the other hand, there are
    zillions of I/O and networking companies now.  Clearly, this is
    because the demand for networking has increased dramatically.  This
    will inevitably increase the rate at which the technical hurdles to
    faster channel speeds are overcome.

    Pipe size is presently one of the least of these hurdles.  T11.1 has
    seen various feasible proposals for physical layers which deliver a
    substantial fraction of typical platform memory bandwidth (which is
    the ultimate `speed limit'), for increasingly fast platforms.

    The most immediate hurdle is what iSCSI is addressing---efficient data
    delivery at faster speeds.  There's no point in having a fast channel
    if you can't make use of it.  Once appropriate hardware acceleration
    is available, the demand for faster channels will come as applications
    are developed to use it, and the physical layer technologies are close
    at hand.

    > In the 1990's there was a transition from shared bandwidth to switched
    > bandwidth which helped mitigate the problem of the slow evolution of link
    > speeds.

    The biggest problem this began to solve was how to introduce faster
    channels into the network infrastructure.  If you have a shared
    medium, it is very difficult to support channels of different speeds.
    This is one of the reasons why faster FC is slow in coming, even
    though the physical medium technology has been around.  If the medium
    is not shared, you can upgrade on a link by link basis.

    The other hurdle that has to be crossed once you allow channels of
    various speeds is congestion.  Any infrastructure that lacks some form
    of congestion control (adaptive (TCP), or bandwidth reservation (ATM))
    will not be able to support increasing link speeds effectively.  This
    is another reason why faster FC is slow in coming.

    What iSCSI brings to the table (assuming it can carry it without
    dropping it :^), is hardware data handling with congestion control and
    media independence, hopefully in a way that other protocols besides
    storage can also use the hardware.  This is the dynamite which will
    blast open the door to memory speed channels.  Once you have a memory
    speed channel, there's no need to stripe.

    Steph