    RE: Re: Requirements specification

    The primary reason to have multiple connections per session are
    cases where the bandwidth requirements for a related set of
    commands (ordered) exceeds the capabilities of a single link.
    I am sure there is a desire for this in high end apps (tapes,
    remote mirroring etc) regardless of the current size of the fat
    pipe.

    The other arguments do sound a little weak to me.

    A reasonable implementation should be able to drive
    a single connection at link speed - so to have features of the spec
    that accomodate poor implementations is perhaps not the best
    thing to do. Coming hardware accelerators will only make this
    more prevelent.

    Also if the commands are not related, i.e. going to different
    LUNs in the same physical device, you could always open
    multiple unrelated sessions to that device. How many sessions
    to open etc would be an interesting implementation problem.

    Also as soon as the spec specifies mechanisms to recover
    sessions with a single connection, one does not need multiple
    connections for recovery.

    We have always seen demand from customers/envrionments where
    there is a desire to transfer a single stream (like ftp) faster
    than the fastest currently available link i.e. like the case
    in the first para. It would be reasonable to accomodate that.

    We have to put more work into the spec to show how the multiple
    connections per session would work in terms of an architecture/
    paper design. I think this would alleviate the fears of complexity
    (I think it will not be too complex - or it might show that it is
    indeed too complex).

    Somesh