    Re: Requirements specification

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > David,
    >
    > The one additional requirement is availability/fault-tolerance.

    Could you elaborate on this and tell us how multiple connections
    between the same two NICs enhance availability?

    Also, can you state what the availability requirements are?

    > Your arguments about performance are valid. However I doubt that there will
    > be enough incentives - beyond price - to develop things for high end
    > controllers and
    > servers.
    >
    > Enabling multiple connections brings those applications the performance
    > required
    > without any serious implications to the rest of the "family" (as I outlined
    > in Pittsburgh
    > controllers and servers that don't need multiple connections/session don't
    > have to implement them).

    The serious implications that I think everyone is concerned about is the
    complexity that we are introducing into the protocol and the question of
    whether this really provides the performance that is asserted.

    > Storage traffic requirements will always exceed those of many other
    > applications.
    >
    > As for the "one-connection-per-LU" we covered this solution in long
    > discussions
    > and even several full fledged implementation - as it is compelingly simple.
    > However the resource consumption is unjustifiably high and the security
    > problems are
    > even worse (the LUs "viewed" by an initiator depend on who he says he is)
    > than
    > in the current draft.

    Chances are that each LUN could be owned by separate initiators and require
    authentication to separate principals anyway. I think that this is the
    requirement we need to keep in mind.

    -- mark