    RE: Agenda suggestion

    > >- It is unfortunately the case that the underlying
    > >VI/TCP draft that Costa referenced is off-limits
    > >for discussion in the meeting due to missing the
    > >submission deadline two weeks prior to the meeting.
    >
    > Some type of VI approach such as the RDMA (or VI modeled after Giganet
    CLAN
    > product) has always been included within iSCSI discussions.  I have never
    > heard it excluded, from the I/O Server convention to even most recently by
    > the author, although a contentious point within the specification.  I did
    > not partake in the telephone conferences, so I may have been excluded from
    > those decisions to exclude it.  Declare fait accompli without knowing the
    > architecture and related security issues?  All the more reason to let
    those
    > with experience speak.

    Oh, good grief ... that's simply not true -- no decision has been made to
    exclude the VI approach, and in fact it is not being excluded.  Costa's
    draft is on the agenda, providing an opportunity to discuss the VI
    approach in general, and I've even suggested a way to acquire
    more time to do so than the 2.5 min currently on the agenda.

    The only thing that is being excluded is discussion of the GigaNet VI/TCP
    draft *at the Pittsburgh meeting* because it was not submitted by the cutoff
    date for submissions.  This rule is necessary to avoid last minute
    submissions
    of important documents in a fashion that makes it impossible for attendees
    to review them sufficiently in advance.  The GigaNet VI/TCP draft can be
    discussed on the mailing list at any time (although waiting until after the
    meeting might be a good idea), and at any meeting after Pittsburgh,
    assuming that it does get submitted in time for such a meeting.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140, FAX: +1 (508) 497-6909
    black_david@emc.com  Cellular: +1 (978) 394-7754