    RE: iSCSI/VI/TCP

    > At the end of the day, this argument comes down to whether folks think
    > that an RDMA mechanism is the right way to go and what RDMA scheme
    > over IP is best. A suitably generic RDMA scheme allows innovation in
    > protocol design, without worrying that the new protocol will be
    > hopelessly slow in legacy hardware.  It decreases the pressure to load
    > features into old, hardware-supported protocols instead of introducing
    > new ones. It destroy an artificial barrier (host overhead) that
    > prevents IP from scaling to fit all our needs.

    Costa,

    Your thoughts reflect ours as well, with one exception.  We chose the
    Scheduled Transfer Protocol (STP), which is essentially ANSI RDMA,
    as the transport for SCSI (SCSI on ST, or SST, an ANSI T10 draft standard,
    Project 1380-D).  STP is defined over IP (and implemented that way in Linux),
    so SST is an ANSI SCSI on IP mapping.

    Regards,
    Don

    Donald D. Woelz                 Tel: 262-644-2505
    V. P. of Marketing              Mobile: 414-732-7705
    GENROCO, Inc.                   Toll Free: 800-243-6762
    255 Info Hwy                    Fax: 262-644-6667
    Slinger, WI 53086