    RE: Draft Pgh. Agenda and charter

    Doug,

    We had different assumptions for Reads and Writes.
    For Reads we assumed that the initiator manages the DMA the target the
    exchange.
    For writes we have again two options:

    - low latency pairs with enough resources would like to expedite writes by
    giving-up the RTT trip (large penalty for  small writes) and use either
    immediate data
    or unsolicited writes. The host DMA is managed by the initiator again and
    the target should have the buffers ready.
    -higher latency pairs (bandwidth can be the same) and more cost conscious
    targets
    will operate only in solicited mode and the they could also use the Target
    Tag as
    a fast "buffer binder" (or cache DMA) while the initiator manages the host
    DMA.

    In all case we are not mandating any descriptors that can be fetched from
    memory although some adaptor vendors may choose to do so; we are limiting
    ourselves to the wire protocol
    and make only minimal assumptions about the APIs (even the age-old sockets
    can do!).
    And we would like to remain so unless there are compelling reasons not to.
    But as I said we still have some issues open.

    Julo

    "Douglas Otis" <dotis@sanlight.net> on 25/07/2000 20:18:17

    Please respond to "Douglas Otis" <dotis@sanlight.net>