    From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:brian@hursley.ibm.com]
    Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 10:21 AM
    To: hhall@ultranet.com
    Cc: 'Michael Krause'; ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: Re: storage-device QoS [was: IPS Draft Charter update]

    Howard Hall wrote:
    > It is also
    > clear the TOS or TClass fields will not cut it in the more complicated
    (and
    > desirable) QoS concepts.

    This is a pretty unclear comment. Apart from anything else, the IETF
    obsoleted
    the old concept of the TOS field in RFC 2474. The replacement concept of the
    Differentiated Services field (which applies identically to IPv4 and IPv6)
    is considerably more complex and subtle, and goes way beyond the notion
    of simple priority that has been mentioned on this thread.

    I agree that this question should be deferred to a later stage.

      Brian