    Re: storage-device QoS [was: IPS Draft Charter update]

    We too have been looking into this issue, but have come to a different
    conclusion.   The propagation of QoS information through SCSI ignores the
    transport protocol, the network layer, all the IP aware devices and QoS
    magic that may allow for the reduction of latency that certain
    applications demand.    I can envision lots of iSCSI aware devices out
    there that don't care about the encapsulated protocol, but sure may want
    to get involved at the network/transport layer and do their value add.
    These devices may know far better than the SCSI layer queue depths,
    windows, session loading, lan/wan bandwidth utilization, etc.  I can also
    envision initiator application software that is iSCSI aware.  These
    applications may know far better than anyone the block content and its
    significance.

    The scope of QoS inclusions could be as simple as a guideline for the
    setting of TOS bits or a high priority channel, or the ability to push
    real flow control and apply end-to-end priority queuing between the target
    and the initiator through the iSCSI protocol.  We won't know unless we
    explore it.

    Howard Hall
    Pirus Networks
    www.pirus.com