    Re: IPS Draft Charter update

    This is a very comprehensive overview of what is needed to
    ensure QoS - Quality of Service for IP networks. Which is
    fine up to the access point of the storage device. You obviously
    wouldn't want the network QoS any less than what the storage can
    provide or you are wasting money on your storage capabilities.

    Conversely, you may also want to specify the Storage quality of
    service as well to better match what you can get out of the
    network or to match what the application needs. The referenced
    draft does not cover that area.

    I know everyone thinks of disk drives when they think storage
    device, and this is equivalent to a "best effort" storage QoS.
    If the device dies, your data is lost. You get the performance
    that it gives you and it typically can't be tuned other than
    laying out the blocks differently.

    However, we now have storage devices that can be configured to
    provide different levels beyond "best effort" storage with
    integrated RAID, Backup, Snapshot Copy, Remote Mirroring and
    Caching. These are equivalent to different forwarding treatments
    and so forth in the networking QoS world.

    Of course, we can have separate MIBs for the parameters of each
    of these different data "treatments", but the administrator
    really doesn't want to care about RAID levels or how to tune
    his storage with all of these parameters to get the service
    levels that he wants out of his storage. He wants differentiated
    storage services that he can match to his application needs,
    just like in the networking world.

    In addition, there are now "Storage Service Providers" (SSPs)
    that will statically configure (provision) these parameters for
    their customers and offer different service level agreements for
    storage services. These businesses would like to offer their
    services over IP for all the obvious reasons.

    With the integration of both Network QoS and Storage QoS,
    IP based storage services can guarantee service levels all
    the way to the storage client with matched performance and
    availability from both the network and the storage. This is
    why I am interested in having this in our charter.

    Perhaps I should do a draft on this to help explain some of
    these issues. I am feeling a little alone out on this limb
    here. Does anyone else see this as important?

    Are there any SSPs out there lurking?

    -- mark