    RE: FCP over IP item on the agenda and thje charter

    David,

    We will certainly bring to the table our considerations and why we choose
    what we choose.
    I think this should be a 15 min point on the agenda.

    Many of us would also like to see a 30 minutes discussion on each of the
    following
    The separate data/command channels approach with the Kalman Meth proposed
    twist,
    security and authentication - details about how it works and how it should
    be worded,
    recovery how it works and what is the minimum required.

    The draft you suggested we look at is not entirely relevant to our group .
    It is a networking layer
    on another networking layer. The IP area is there territory this should be
    discussed (if somewhere).

    There is also a growing concern (expressed already in a  previous message)
    to the community
    versus commercial value to some industry players of the FCP inclusion.

    I strongly favor taking it out.

    Also about the charter - due to mail failures I got it late. It is good and
    in covers the whole
    area. The time table should however focus on getting out the things that
    require the longest "gestation" first - the transport mapping. The others
    are at least as important and if IESG decides that 1 group is enough to
    cover them all (I am not sure it has to be) then we should schedule the
    to activities in areas late discovery, management etc. to follow.

    I  am also not completely confident that I understand the "framework"
    stuff?
    Is it a requirements document?
    Is it a recipe to derive a myriad of incompatible protocols?
    In those areas that cover basic transport issues is framework is not a
    unifying thing but rather
    a way of explaining the differences when they arise.
    Do we want this? Do we really need this.

    I wonder why you used so little of the initial, modest and carefully worded
    charter we suggested
    for the first phase 3 months and added to it for later stages discovery and
    management.

    Did you get to have a look at it? Do you what it reposted?

    Black_David@emc.com on 17/07/2000 18:04:31

    Please respond to Black_David@emc.com