    RE: iSCSI has already been done before, sort of...

    Matt, Bill,

    There is no iIPI document that I've ever seen. However the definition of
    IPI-3 on "HIPPI Raw framing protocol" is defined in section A.2 of the
    latest IPI-3 Disk standard - ANSI X3.291:1997, the Revised Device Generic
    Command Set for Magnetic and Optical Disk Drives. The standard can be
    purchased in paper for from the usual sources, and online as a PDF file from
    http://www.ncits.org. Details of all IPI projects are still available from
    the link that Bill gave, http://www.t11.org, which is the T11 committee web
    site that I happen to maintain - follow the "IPI" links.

    I was the editor of the IPI-3 Tape standard, and I worked on IPI very
    actively from 1984 thru the early 1990s. IPI was mostly used by large system
    companies such as IBM and what used to be known as the BUNCH (Univac,
    Control Data, Honeywell etc.), because its architecture used some of the
    same principles as their previous proprietary channels. With the demise of
    the BUNCH in the early 90s, IPI basically faded away and was replaced by
    SCSI for server storage. Maximum Strategy certainly did have an IPI-3 over
    HIPPI and over FC product, and I think that they had plans for a IPI-3 over
    TCP/IP product as well. I still have contact with some of the folks that
    worked there, so I'll see if I can find anything that will be useful for
    iSCSI.

    The reason why it was fairly straightforward to create definitions of how
    IPI-3 was transported on the multiple interfaces was that IPI-3 was
    conceived from the start as a "packetized" protocol. This was most certainly
    NOT originally true of SCSI, which has the message system and other physical
    layer signaling aspects. However in the last 10 years T10 has put a LOT of
    effort into the SCSI-3 architecture to enable SCSI to be "packetized" and
    work across multiple transports. A number of people who have been involved
    in this process have been up front about using the functionality of IPI-3 as
    guidance for that effort. It can certainly be argued that things like status
    reporting and error recovery are unnecessarily complex in SCSI because of
    its heritage. However the fact is that SCSI, complexity and all, is
    implemented in every major server OS, and that it made eminent sense in the
    mid 1990s to take advantage of that support to speed the adoption of Fibre
    Channel. Supporting essentially the same protocol over parallel SCSI & FC
    enabled SAN configurations that take the best advantage of both
    technologies, through the equivalent of bridges and routers. I submit that
    it makes equal sense to take the same approach for IP Storage.

    Bill's list of the attributes of IPI-3 is essentially correct, but I'd like
    to add a few comments:

    1) IPI-3 certainly had the concept of a "Transfer Notification" that
    preceded a data transfer, and even allowed information such as address and
    length to be included, but I don't think we ever did standardize the format
    of that information.
    2) The IPI-3 packet format only allocated a byte each for the "Target" and
    LUN address, which would clearly not be sufficient for today's SANs, and
    changing those size would have a major impact on the protocol because a
    number of the protocol aspects assume a fixed length header.
    3) IPI-3 did have multiple port support, but this was achieved with simple
    bit masks that clearly would not work for multiple different transport
    technologies in today's SANs.
    4) IPI-3 predated the use of worldwide unique identifiers for configuration
    discovery in storage.
    5) There has never been any IPI-3 "controller chips" at any level
    approaching the level of integration and complexity of today's intelligent
    SCSI silicon, as far as I know. The highest level of integration achieved
    was a single chip physical interface state machine.

    Therefore, despite its technical excellence (and there are still a number of
    people around who will confirm that it was a good technical solution), I
    cannot believe that IPI-3 is a viable candidate for a 21st century storage
    protocol over any transport mechanism.

    Regards,

    Roger Cummings
    Veritas Software