    Re: TCP RDMA option to accelerate NFS, CIFS, SCSI, etc.

    Alan,

    Given you are concerned about Appletalk and PCI, perhaps we just
    need to agree you are addressing a different performance level of
    storage system.  I see no reason for hardware support at Appletalk
    and PCI speeds either.  The RDMA option, even implemented in
    a hardware NIC, would not preclude software processing of Appletalk
    or anything else.

      I think it would be only fair for this group to expect you to
    provide a more fully worked out design and evaluation of your
    proposed NIC if this is really to be taken as a serious alternative
    to an RDMA option.  I for one dont find it a competitive design
    (it is also one that was previously considered.)

    Regarding the complexity of TCP processing in hardware, people are
    doing this, so I regard this as a done deal.  (I'd hate
    to be a high-speed NIC vendor that cant do this.)
    The only issue is how to handle the next level of
    protocols that have high performance requirements, i.e. storage.
    Also, NICs with hardware enhancements for protocol support,
    such as the Intel Gigabit Ethernet NIC have been very successful
    both in performance and market.  So, expect more there.

    Finally, the RDMA option is targeted to allow use of standard
     Internet protocols for SANs in place of  specialized protocols
    and networks such as  FibreChannel, especially for non-local
    access.
    I.e. an extra option rather than an extra protocol stack and network.
    I hope the discussion can recognize that broader issue in considering
    alternatives and the general need for the RDMA option.
    I.e. can SCSI over TCP really compete with FC without the RDMA option?
    (In this sense, the subject line should have put SCSI first.)

    DRC