    Re: TCP RDMA option to accelerate NFS, CIFS, SCSI, etc.

    > From: Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@Eng.Sun.COM>

    > > A draft describing the TCP RDMA option can be found at:
    > > ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/pub/rdma/draft-csapuntz-tcprdma-00.txt
    >
    > There is no DNS entry for ftpeng.cisco.com so I can't access the document.

    ftpeng.cisco.com resolves for me to 198.92.30.33, and the URL works
    ftpeng.cisco.com does not answer ICMP Echo-Requests.  It also seems that
    Cisco is filtering ICMP TTL Exceeded.

    Oh, well.  I predict that soon traceroute and ping will be as
    effective as if the Internet were run by the old line telco managers
    who went great lengths to keep their technical problems quite.
    The recent security hassles will be a handy (and quite silly)
    excuse.  (Yes, of course, Cisco has every right to filter however
    they want.  I'm talking about technical sense, not rights.)

    I'm even less impressed about the proposal than Erik Nordmark,
    perhaps because more than 10 years ago I saw systems shipped by
    more than one competitor of Sun Microsystems that paged flipped
    NFS/UDP and user TCP data.  (well, one of the other vendors might
    have been a little more recent 10 years.)

    The motive for the proposal seems to be that while only a very few
    CPU instructions are needed to page flip, the functions of those CPU
    instructions are very hard in hardware.  I don't agree.  In today's
    world of ASIC's, silicon to figure out where to drop incoming TCP
    segments or NFS/UDP/IP fragments based only on old fashioned TCP and
    RPC/XRD/UDP headers is nothing to write home about.  It wasn't even
    all that big a deal more than 10 years ago, as everyone involved with
    or who watched Protocol Engines Inc. remembers.

    Hashing is almost as cool (and easy) in hardware as in software.

    Vernon Schryver    vjs@rhyolite.com