    RE: IP Storage Framework document

    My position is that we still need to consider TCP, UDP, and other options in the
    initial discussions.  Otherwise, you give up on even knowing about possible
    advances through an arbitrary decision without hearing them.  Perhaps some of
    those advances may even help a TCP based approach -- who knows until you see
    them.  This is one of the purposes of the pre-BOF meeting to try to settle some
    of this out before the BOF.  We don't know if Sun, HP, Seagate, etc. have other
    proposals that may be better than anything this group has.

    To stimulate more discussion, let me approach the issue from another vector.
    Isn?t one of the nice features about IP is that it can be diverse and support
    multiple transports?  If we accept your arguments that TCP is the solution, why
    not do away with IP and create TCP flows through the network?  What if we
    identify features or requirements for IP storage that would benefit from
    capabilities that TCP does not provide, such as multicast?  Should we ignore
    that and still stick with TCP?  Not at all clear to me.

    I just don?t know if everybody will buy argument that TCP is the single cure-all
    for all the network?s ills.  That slow start thing is a particular concern for
    me.  The additional cost to do MTU discovery (which everybody doesn?t do
    currently) is a concern to me -- why bother if it?s always 1500?  And so forth.
    I can find an argument for TCP and one against TCP, which seems to say that we
    should be flexible in our thinking.

    I?ll grant you that some simplistic TCP accelerations do exist today.  Doing
    minor things to the transmit path is easy -- the receive processing,
    retransmits, and other things that make TCP what it is and account for a nice
    part of the overhead are hard.  There are a slew of vendors (many startups)
    promising us network processor solutions that will solve all our problems.  I?m
    sure they?re promising you guys as well.  But they?re vaporware at this point.
    Are you going to commit your products on the mere possibility that somebody
    unproven will provide a critical component?

    It?s just not clear to me that TCP in silicon is cost-effective, especially at
    10/100 speeds.  For ultra-low cost devices, the cost of the extra silicon may be
    a concern to some.  Initially, the cost will be high and even then, if I?m price
    sensitive and space sensitive, then it would be a very serious issue to me.
    It?ll be awhile before we see fully integrated, single chip solutions.  Bottom
    line, focusing solely on the WAN solution as the only solution before we see the
    alternatives and betting on unproven technology may not be the best strategy.

    One might argue that if it is a simple UDP based protocol, it will be
    significantly easier to implement the *complete* protocol in hardware than
    something based ontop of TCP.   I hope UDP is not new fangled protocol, at any
    rate. :-)  Some of the UDP-related problems that you are mentioning, we can
    clearly provide optional mechanisms to cure it for those who want to cure it.
    Key word here is optional.  Those who do not want to use these options, they
    don?t -- and they still interoperate.

    It is probably not in the IETF?s interest to be dictating to vendors and
    customers on how they build their networks and storage systems.  We want to
    enable them to be able to provide and to use interoperable storage solutions as
    they see fit.  To enable the most broadly interoperable solution would be the
    best answer.

    Dave

    Andreas Bechtolsheim <avb@cisco.com> on 02/04/2000 06:48:19 AM

    Sent by:  Andreas Bechtolsheim <avb@cisco.com>