Industry Internship Opportunity
Project: Software Engineering Intern, L4 Project
Google’s "L4 team" have an internship opportunity that could be of interest to PDLers. L4 is a large, flash-based caching layer in Google’s storage stack. They have recently added some “learning-based policies” to L4, and are looking for an intern to help expand & study these.
There are two projects:
- Look at adding new features to the learning model and evaluate how to exploit them and how much benefit they achieve. Google’s data pipeline apparently gives them lots of rich metadata that could prove very useful in improving cache performance.
- Investigate prefetching in L4.
The L4 team is interested in publishing, so there is a possible publication from this work. They are also open to internships in summer or fall or whenever.
- Pursuing a PhD degree program in Computer Science, or related technical field.
- Programming experience in one or more of the following: C/C++, Java or Python.
- Available to work full time for a minimum of 12 weeks outside of university term time and returning to a degree program after completion of the internship.
- Research experience in Algorithms, Architecture, Artificial Intelligence, Compilers, Database, Data Mining, Distributed Systems, Machine Learning, Networking or Systems.
- Experience in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design.
Join us for a unique 12-14 week paid internship that offers personal and professional development, an executive speaker series, and community-building. The Software Engineering Internship program will give you an opportunity to work on complex computer science solutions, develop scalable, distributed software systems, and also collaborate on multitudes of smaller projects that have universal appeal.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested students should apply at https://careers.google.com/jobs/results/136906590826439366/ and also contact Junaid Khalid at firstname.lastname@example.org, letting him know of your application and interest.