    From: Caitlin Bestler [mailto:cait@asomi.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 6:10 PM
    To: Mallikarjun C.
    Cc: ips@ece.cmu.edu; rddp@ietf.org
    Subject: Re: iSCSI/iWARP drafts and flow control

    On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 07:49 PM, Mallikarjun C. wrote:

    >> There is an identical flow control issue for
    >> RDMA Reads.
    >
    > Not true.  There's a built-in credit renewal in an RDMA Read.
    > The Peer issuing the RDMA Read knows it can reuse the
    > Read credit when it receives an RDMA Read Response.
    > Send Messages carrying the "fringe" iSCSI PDUs need both
    > new wire protocol and cross-layer chit-chat within an end-node
    > between iSCSI and iSER - in order to renew credits.

    No new wire protocol is required.

    Restoration of no-CmdSNs credits could be piggy-backed on top
    of the existing CmdSN credit system.

    Basically each Cmd reply restores one "Cmd Credit". It could
    also restore an implicit number of "NoCmd" credits. Basically
    if Cmd X had been proceeded by Y "NoCmd" messages, then the
    reply to Cmd X would restore Y "NoCmd" credits.

    It is simple credit counting, suitable for implementation in
    hardware or software at any number of layers, and requires
    no additional wire messages or even fields.

Last updated: Tue Aug 05 12:46:08 2003
12771 messages in chronological order