    Re: iSCSI: using the C bit

    On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Eddy Quicksall wrote:

    > I want to be sure I understand the use of the C bit in a login. It seems to
    > me that the initiator could split a key into two parts: 1st part at the end
    > of request A and 2nd part at the beginning of request A+1.
    >
    > e.g., the end of request A (with C bit set) could be "Immediate" and the
    > beginning of request A+1 could be "Data=yes" (the full key=value pair being
    > "ImmediateData=yes").
    >
    > If this is done, the target will not process the partial key and may send
    > his own key saying "ImmediateData=no". But, the initiator has already

    No! While the partial process part is correct, if the C bit is set, you
    can't send anything back.

    It's ok to process keys as they come in, but you can't answer them or make
    offers if the C bit was set.

    > constructed the negotiation and request A+1 would violate the protocol
    > because ImmediateData has already been negotiated.
    >
    > Comments?

    The kind of case you describe is exactly why we have the C bit. Its
    presence indicates that the sender wasn't able to fit everything it wanted
    to say in one packet, so wait for more.

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Thu Jan 16 21:19:01 2003