    -----Original Message-----
    From: Julian Satran [mailto:Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 5:18 AM
    To: Steve Bellovin; Black_David@emc.com
    Cc: ips@ece.cmu.edu

    The intent of the "offending" statement in 11.1 was to have a strong player with a new method forcing everybody into it by not offering anything else.
    I guess the phrasing was bad.  Simply removing None will not do it since None may still remain a valid option if both parties agree:

    I would suggest the new phrasing to be:

    Private or public extension algorithms MAY also be negotiated for authentication methods. Whenever a private or public extension algorithm is offered, at least one of the authentication methods defined in this document MUST also be offered as an option.

Last updated: Wed Jan 08 15:19:08 2003
12141 messages in chronological order