    RE: iSCSI: Implicit Termination of Tasks

    Minor nit:  Please change "active tasks in three cases" to "active tasks in four cases".

    dj
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Julian Satran [mailto:Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 1:59 AM
    To: Black_David@emc.com
    Cc: david.brown@trebia.com; ips@ece.cmu.edu; owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: iSCSI: Implicit Termination of Tasks

    How about the following text:

    If the tasks terminated in the above cases a), b, c) and d)are SCSI tasks, they must be internally terminated with CHECK CONDITION status with a sense key of unit attention and ASC/ASCQ values of 0x6E/0x00 (COMMAND TO LOGICAL UNIT FAILED).  This status is only meaningful for appropriately handling the internal SCSI state and SCSI side effects with respect to ordering (e.g., queued commands and ACA) because this status is never communicated back as a terminating status to the initiator.

    Please pay attention to the fact that the statement about the status not being returned is unchanged.

    10.14.5 now reads also:

    Implicit termination of tasks

    A target implicitly terminates the active tasks in three cases due to iSCSI protocol:

    When a connection is implicitly or explicitly logged out with the reason code of "Close the connection" and there are active tasks allegiant to that connection.

    When a connection fails and eventually the connection state times out (state transition M1 in Section 7.2.2 State Transition Descriptions for Initiators and Targets) and there are active tasks allegiant to that connection.

    When a successful recovery Logout is performed while there are active tasks allegiant to that connection, and those tasks eventually time out after the Time2Wait and Time2Retain periods without allegiance reassignment.

    When a connection is implicitly or explicitly logged out with the reason code of "Close the session" and there are active tasks in that session.

    If the tasks terminated in any of the above cases are SCSI tasks, they must be internally terminated with CHECK CONDITION status with a sense key of unit attention and ASC/ASCQ values of 0x6E/0x00 (COMMAND TO LOGICAL UNIT FAILED).  This status is only meaningful for appropriately handling the internal SCSI state and SCSI side effects with respect to ordering (e.g., queued commands and ACA) because this status is never communicated back as a terminating status to the initiator.

    Julo

    Black_David@emc.com
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    08/01/03 03:57

    david.brown@trebia.com, ips@ece.cmu.edu
    cc
    Subject
    RE: iSCSI: Implicit Termination of Tasks

    Folks,

    We need to drive this issue to closure.  The gory details of the
    cross-initiator effects of task termination with CHECK CONDITION
    are summarized in Table 25 of Section 5.9.1.2 of SAM-2, and the
    next four subsections describe how this affects new tasks.  As
    David Brown pointed out, the important behavior to note is that
    when TST is 0, any such termination affects *all* tasks regardless
    of initiator, and if it results in an ACA, that affects
    *all* existing and new tasks until the ACA cleared.  FWIW, iSCSI's
    requirement that autosense MUST be used eliminates the possibility
    of a new task being created while CA is in effect as the CA is
    immediately cleared by autosense.

    Given this, especially its ACA aspects, and the fact that iSCSI needs
    to support ACA, the distinction currently made in Section 6.5 between
    connection closure and session closure seems wrong - I'm inclined
    to agree with David Brown and Eddy Quicksall that all four cases
    in Section 6.5 need to implicitly terminate the tasks with CHECK
    CONDITION for consistency, and I also think that David Brown's
    add text observing that there may be cross-initiator side effects
    depending on how CA and ACA are handled is reasonable, but I would
    limit it to about what I just wrote plus advice to consult SAM-2.

    Anyone want to disagree?

Last updated: Wed Jan 08 11:19:01 2003
12131 messages in chronological order