    No Subject

    Comments on draft-ietf-ips-fcip-slp-04.txt

    I am not on the IPS list.  Please respond to me directly if there are
    any questions.

    Page 4.

       1. If an SLPv2 DA is found [RFC2608], the  SA  contacts  the  DA  and
       registers  the  service advertisement.  If SLPv2 DA is not found, the
       SA maintains the service advertisement itself, and answers  multicast
       UA queries directly.

    Whether a DA can be located by the SA or not, the SA must answer requests.
    This is necessary because some UAs may not have been able to locate a DA.
    In this case the UAs will issue multicast requests, and the SA will respond.

    Suggested revised text:

       1. If an SLPv2 DA is found [RFC2608], the  SA  contacts  the  DA  and
       registers  the  service advertisement.  Whether or not one or more
       SLPv2 DAs are discovered, the SA maintains the service advertisement
       itself, and answers  multicast UA queries directly.

    Page 5
       Fig. 2 FCIP Entity and Discovery Domain Example.

    You should mention in this example that the value of
    fcip-discovery-domain is as follows

                    fcip-discovery-domain attribute value
                    =====================================
    FCIP Entity A   orange,purple,fcip
    FCIP Entity B   orange,blue,purple,fcip
    FCIP Entity C   blue,purple,fcip

    If this is not what you intended, then you need to rework the
    example.

    Page 8
       template-url-syntax =
         url-path          =    ipaddr [ : tcpport ] / fcip-entity-name
         ipaddr            =    DNS host name or ip address
         tcpport           =    decimal tcp port number

    I suggest that you cite the grammar in RFC 2609 so that the ipaddr
    and tcpport grammar is specified and standard.

    Page 8
       template-url-syntax =
         url-path          =    ipaddr [ : tcpport ] / fcip-entity-name
         ipaddr            =    DNS host name or ip address
         tcpport           =    decimal tcp port number
         fcip-entity-name  =    FCIP Entity Name

    What is the grammar for the FCIP Entity Name?

      fcip-entity-name = opaque

    Please note that the syntax for an opaque value is not colon separated
    like 10:00:00:60:69:20:34:0C (from the Entity Name in the URL example.)

    You use "\ff" "\" HEXDIGIT HEXDIGIT, so the entity name would be

    \ff\10\00\00\60\69\20\34\0C

       Service  type templates provide information that is used to interpret
       information obtained by clients through SLPv2. If the FCIP  templates
       are modified or if false templates are distributed, FCIP Entities may
       not correctly register themselves or may not  be  able  to  interpret
       service information.

    Templates may be used (as documents) by applications.  Mostly templates
    are used as guides to writers of applications.   It is unlikely that
    someone will forge the RFC resulting from this internet draft.  Therefore
    I think that this is not a very important security consideration.  You
    could probably drop this paragraph.

    Erik Guttman
    erik.guttman@sun.com

Last updated: Wed Jan 08 03:18:59 2003