    RE: question on reserve and release !

    > > When multiple iscsi initiators make calls to the same iscsi
    > > target, the actual scsi device only sees one single scsi id
    > > (that of the scsi HBA on the iscsi target machine).  This
    > > would mean that different iscsi initiators sending scsi reserve
    > > command will be interpreted by the scsi target as commands
    > > from the same scsi initiator.

    > Which in turn would mean that the implementation of the iscsi to
    > parallel scsi gateway is broken.  SCSI is *not* an end to end
    > protocol whose CDBs can be transparently passed through when
    > changing transports.  For this example, the iscsi to scsi gateway
    > either has to present multiple initiators to the target or has
    > to implement the reserve and release functionality itself on
    > behalf of the target (which should then not be connected externally
    > via any means other than this gateway).

    I'm confused by the above statements.  In a selection phase of parallel
    SCSI, one does know the Host ID bit on the SCSI bus.  Hence, only one
    initiator can reserve at a time.  Others gets "Reserve Conflict - Status
    08".  For iSCSI, different initiators have their own respective sessions.
    The iSCSI to parallel SCSI gateway can easily emulating a Host ID bit -
    although it would need multiple logical SCSI busses when the number of
    initiators exceeds 15 on a wide SCSI bus.

    Y.P. Cheng
    Chief Scientist, Matisse Networks.

Last updated: Tue Oct 22 15:21:02 2002
11965 messages in chronological order