    RE: IPS-All: WG Last Call on "iSCSI Naming and Discovery"

    Rob,

    I think this is a reasonable and acceptable change.  Thanks.

    Jim Hafner

    Sent by:        owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    To:        ips@ece.cmu.edu
    cc:
    Subject:        RE: IPS-All:  WG Last Call on "iSCSI Naming and Discovery"

    Hello,

    One aspect of the Naming and Discovery draft that I find misleading lies in
    the sentence in Section B.3

    "The gateway may manufacture its own  iSCSI Names, or use those provided by
    the real devices."

    Now B.3 deals with non-iSCSI devices, so does the phrase "those provided by
    the real devices" refer to non-iSCSI devices providing an iSCSI Name? I read
    "those provided by the real devices" as the native identifiers (i.e. FC
    WWN). This may lead to the conclusion that a Gateway can use the "eui." form
    of the iSCSI name in a fairly straight-forward manner. Unfortunately, we
    know is not true (at least for the case where multiple gateways can see the
    same device on a SAN). So - I suggest a caveat is warranted, like

    "It is the responsibility of the gateway to ensure the uniqueness of any
    iSCSI name it manufactures. The gateway may need to account for multiple
    gateways having access to a single real device".

    Now - of course I would REALLY like to see something done at the naming
    level that would allow gateway vendors to preserve some part of the identity
    of the real device in a non-proprietary fashion. But at least alerting
    readers to the problem would be a good step.

    Regards,
    Rob.

Last updated: Fri Aug 30 02:19:01 2002
11714 messages in chronological order