    RE: SCSI Target Port Name/Identifier and VPD Identifier type

    Luben,

    I checked with a "usually reliable" T10 source and got the following
    back:

    	For this particular proposal, I really haven't seen a need.
    	The port is identified on the iSCSI layer where it really matters.
    	In inquiry, the only relevant information (in my opinion) is LU
    	identifier [...snip...] [but] the logical unit doesn't really
    	have a good view of the ports (particularly when the LU is
    	accessible through more than one device (which is what gateways
    	create)).  So, it doesn't really make sense to ask the LU about
    	its ports.  A more rational approach is to define a Well-known LU
    	(a device level object) whose job is to report on the physical
    	topology of its ports.   For iSCSI, that is already available
    	through SendTargets.

    I suggest approaching T10 directly to continue this discussion.  T10
    is an open organization that welcomes the participation of all (although
    T10 does charge membership fees).  Contact Elizabeth or myself directly
    if you need/want help or advice in approaching/working with T10.

    +1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018

Last updated: Wed Aug 28 12:18:55 2002
11703 messages in chronological order