    Re: IPS and SCTP

    David,

    Thanks for the tips.  I think that it should be possible
    to release a draft before the Atlanta meeting.  Can I bounce
    preliminary drafts off of you?

    --brian

    On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Black_David@emc.com wrote:

    > Brian,
    >
    > > Sure.  Perhaps a start would be (for me) to write an
    > > individual submission extension draft for running, say,
    > > iSCSI over SCTP.  Would that be of interest to this WG?
    > > What would be the best timing for such a submission?
    >
    > I can't speak for the WG as a whole, but that sounds like
    > a reasonable course of action to me.  Getting a first
    > version of your draft submitted far enough in advance
    > of the Atlanta meetings so that people will have time to read
    > and consider it (i.e., well before the "just prior to the
    > deadline" draft deluge) ought to allow the WG the opportunity
    > to decide whether to make it an official work item in Atlanta.
    >
    > A few iSCSI over SCTP things to start with:
    > - Header digests can be eliminated since SCTP now uses CRC32C,
    > 	and should result in a visible simplification of error
    > 	recovery.
    > - Unless SCTP has changed to allow load balancing as part of
    > 	its multi-homing/failover support, iSCSI sessions will
    > 	need to support multiple SCTP sessions per connection
    > 	for load balancing.
    > - SCTP's ability to avoid head-of-line blocking should be useful
    > 	when immediate delivery of iSCSI commands is requested.
    >
    > Enjoy,
    > --David
    > David L. Black, Senior Technologist
    > EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    > +1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018
    > black_david@emc.com       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754

    Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
    bidulock@openss7.org    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
    http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                            ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                            ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

Last updated: Wed Aug 28 11:18:53 2002
11701 messages in chronological order