    RE: IPS WG Last Call: Structural Improvements

    First, let me say that the document continues to improve, and I think the
    technical issues are winding down.  Julian deserves our appreciation for
    having shown so much patience and attention to detail.

    In the past I've suggested in private discussions that the document has
    significant readability and/or structural challenges.  One of the esteemed
    WG co-chairs has challenged me to be more specific.

    To be more specific & constructive, and to see whether there is support from
    others for these suggestions, here goes:

    - The topic of login needs an overview section that introduces concepts such
    as session phases, connection phases, session types, declarations vs.
    negotiations, and login stages.  Much of the terminology is introduced on
    the fly.

    -  There should be many more cross-references in a document this size.

    - For readability, any comma-separated list of more than 2 or 3 items should
    be expressed as a list of bullets instead.  Examples abound in the state
    diagrams.

    -  There are many cases where an English phrase is used as a euphemism for
    well-defined iSCSI term.  One example is the use of a phrase like 'the
    maximum length of unsolicited data negotiated during login' instead of
    'FirstBurstLength'.  Such euphemisms might be justified early in an
    overview, before the iSCSI term has been introduced, but anywhere else it
    leaves the reader wondering.  At a minimum, euphemisms should be
    supplemented by appending the iSCSI term in parentheses, and in many cases a
    forward section reference is also in order.  It also suggests that more
    iSCSI terms should be introduced (but not necessarily defined in detail)
    earlier in the text; e.g. frequently-mentioned key names.

    - There seem to be cases where new terminology/notation would be very
    useful.  There are many phrases of the form 'an X having the Y bit set to
    1'; when multiples of these appear in the same sentence-and they do- parsing
    becomes difficult.  One could define a flavor of X that implies having the Y
    bit set; e.g. one could define a 'final Data-out PDU' as a PDU having the F
    bit set.

    - Several sections are quite long and contain multiple topics.  Ideally, any
    section longer than a page or two should be broken up, especially if there
    is no other relief such as tables, bullets, or diagrams.  (Julian has
    recently done this in 2.4)

    IMHO the single biggest improvement would be a tutorial introduction to
    Section 4 that starts with the most basic concepts and terminology.

    Brian Forbes
    Brocade Communications