    Re: About F-bit in ISCSI Scsi command PDU

    On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Prashanth.C.A. Shetty wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >     As per the draft definition of F-bit explained in
    > the iSCSI SCSI command PDU section..."F-bit should be
    > set to 1 when no unsolicited data follow the command
    > PDU".

    Where did you see that text?

    In draft 15, section 9.3.1, I see:

    (F) is set to 1 when no unsolicited SCSI Data-Out PDUs follow this PDU.

    >     My interpretation of the above statement is:
    >     F-bit in the command PDU is to be set to 1 by the
    > initiator only if solicited data needs to be sent to
    > the Target and should be zero for Unsolicited data
    > transfer.
    >     My question:
    >     If I need to send only immediate
    > data:..[dataxferlen <=
    > MaxRecvPduLen,InitalR2t=True,ImmediateData=True]....What
    > should be the F-bit set to????.

    The text quoted above clarifies that F only applies to unsolicited data
    PDUs, not immediate data.

    >     Should it be set to ZERO[because IMMEDIATE DATA
    > ONLY[InitialR2t=True,ImmediateData=True] falls as one
    > of unsolicited data transfer type] or should it be set
    > to ONE[because no unsolicited data follows the command
    > PDU]????

    One, as there are no unsolicited Data-Out PDUs.

    Note also that just because you negotiated ImmediateData=Yes, and it's
    probably better to (saves a data PDU), you don't HAVE to send any. You
    just can.

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Tue Aug 13 17:18:52 2002