    RE: Problem with use of NotUnderstood in negotiations

    On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Bart Crane wrote:

> [...]

    The problem is that we're actually discussing what to do with an
    iSCSI-undefined key.

    The spec seems to assume (quite reasonably) that keys one side doesn't
    understand are there because the other side offered them and thus the
    other side understands them. By just sending back "NotUnderstood",
    negotiations can experiment some to see what keys are available.

    This is a case where neither side understands the key.

    > So, their being used as the initial value to any key is prohibited.

    ?? In the scenario I describe, neither side believes it offered the key.

    > Thus, there is no need to add another rule regarding not-responding to
    > keys with NotUnderstood as a value, because a key with that value is
    > a protocol error.
    >
    > This could be made more explicit, but there does not seem to be any
    > ambiguity.

    There obviously is ambiguity. The fact we're having this discussion is
    proof. :-)

    I'd support saying this case is a protocol error, since it means something
    neither side understands got into the stream (and chances are an offer got
    removed). But I think adding an explicit direction as to what to do is
    needed.

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Sat Aug 10 01:18:59 2002