    Re: iSCSI: Check Condition and Residuals

    Santosh Rao wrote:

    > Luben Tuikov wrote:
    >
    > > Santosh Rao wrote (Thu, 01 Aug 2002 10:11:48 -0700):
    > > > Julian & Robert [Russell],
    > > >
    > > > I raised the same query regarding RESID for FCP/FCP-2 this time last
    > > > year. The response I got for FCP/FCP-2 was that RESID information shall
    > > > be valid, regardless of the scsi status returned. The RESID field, can
    > > > be checked by the scsi transport drivers independent of the SCSI STATUS.
    > > THIS-------------------------------------->^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > > > I have enclosed the T10 response from Rob Snivelly below on that issue.
    > > > As per FC-PLDA, the RESID information is valid, regardless of the scsi
    > > > status returned by the device.
    > > >
    > > > An example of this is the case of "NO SENSE" or "RECOVERED ERROR" check
    > > > condition, when the data transfer may have taken place and a CHECK
    > > > CONDITION is returned. Also, for other CHECK CONDITION status', partial
    > > > data transfer may have taken place and hence, resid information should
    > > > be present.
    > >
    > > This alone is CLEARLY implying that targets look up the residuals
    > > right in the sense data, which is totally wrong. (Repeating myself
    > > here again.)
    >
    > My mail raised the question of when FCP-x initiator scsi transport
    > drivers can examine the resid field. This has nothing to do with
    > targets. I made no mention of targets peeking into sense data.

    Be that as it may, BUT you _were__spilling_ it into iSCSI.

    AND iSCSI is clear on that! Residuals are valid only when
    the appropriate bit is set (o/O/u/U).

    Also your mail _is_suggestive_ of peeking into the sense data,
    since you mention that status should be irrelevant for residuals.
    (Again spilling this into iSCSI!)

    This has _always_ been and still is a NON-ISSUE for me.

    Again, iSCSI is clear, and as complete on residuals as anything
    else out there.

    If anyone has a problem with this, they should raise the issue
    with T10 for a poke at SAM and/or SPC (whatever _they_ decide).

    --
    Luben

Last updated: Fri Aug 09 16:18:57 2002
11594 messages in chronological order