    Problem with use of NotUnderstood in negotiations

    I encountered a problem with how draft 15 specifies using NotUnderstood as
    a reply to keys that aren't understood. Namely if something injects
    garbage into the negotiation stream we can end up with a key BOTH sides
    don't understand, and so they both sit there sending "foo=NotUnderstood"
    back and forth to each other.

    Yes, well-behaved negotiators won't offer a key they don't understand. But
    the data stream can be corrupted, and all it would take is a single-bit
    error in a key name and we encounter the above.

    I propose we change the text to:

    Any key not understood by the acceptor may be ignored by the acceptor
    without affecting the basic function. However, unless the value for the
    key was "NotUnderstood", the answer for a key not understood MUST be
    key=NotUnderstood. If the value for the key was "NotUnderstood", the
    acceptor MUST not answer the key.

    Note: I can easily see closing the connection with an error in the above
    case too.

    Thoughts?

    Take care,

    Bill