    From: <pat_thaler@agilent.com>
    To: <Shahram_Davari@pmc-sierra.com>; <pkoning@equallogic.com>
    Cc: <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 2:58 PM
    Subject: RE: iSCSI question

    > Shahram,
    >
    > There are two recovery heirarchies. You seem to be confusing error recovery level with error recovery class.
    >
    > One is the heirarchy for implementation requirements. With 3 forms of recovery, there are 8 possible
    combinations but to simplify interoperability and to specify minimum acceptable operation, we don't want to
    allow all eight. Session qualifies two ways to be level 0 of this heirarchy - it is simplest to implement and
    it should be able to recover from any recoverable error.

    > Note that these are the error recovery levels that are described in 5.15. A sessions recovery level
    indicates the set of recovery classes it is capable of using. The recovery levels are defined such that a
    lower recovery level includes a subset of the recovery classes available at a higher recovery level.

    > The other heirarchy is the order in which the available classes are applied once an error occurs. This is
    the subject of 5.14. The classes are disjoint.

    > Once an error occurs, the device will choose an error recovery class from the set of recovery classes in its
    recovery level. If that recovery class fails, it may try the next higher class.

    > Error recovery level 0 includes the Session recovery class.
    > Error recovery level 1 includes the two classes useful for  Digest failure recovery (Within-Command and
    Within-Connection) plus the Session recovery class from level 0.
    > Error recovery level 2 includes  Connection recovery class plus the classes included in level 1.
    >
    > I think the text already makes this clear and the pyramid correctly represents this, but perhaps the chart
    below the period could add "plus the capablilities of ErrorRecoveryLevel n" to the boxes for Associated Error
    recovery capablities for levels 1 and 2 ("n" = 0 and 1, respectively).

    > I hope this helps remove some of the confusion.
    >
    > Pat

Last updated: Fri Aug 09 04:19:38 2002
11582 messages in chronological order