    Re: iSCSI: Unsolicited data PDU retry

    >You're suggesting that, when
    > REtransmitting a command, it is ok to send a command that indicates we're
    > sending more PDUs (F-bit not set) and to then NOT send them as we're
    > plugging a command hole.

    Sorry, but I never said it - perhaps I was just unclear.  On the
    contrary,
    I am suggesting that the command retry mechanics must be identical.

    All I said was that the target is responsible for Data-Out recovery
    *when*
    it did receive the command earlier.  If the initiator is suspecting that
    the command never got there, it's obligated to repeat the entire command
    retry sequence - including the unsolicited data, if any.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Network Storage Solutions
    MS 5668	Hewlett-Packard, Roseville.
    cbm@rose.hp.com

    Bill Studenmund wrote:

    > On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Mallikarjun C. wrote:
    >
    > > Bill,
    > >
    > > I do not quite follow what "could lead to a mess"....let me address what
    > > I think is your question.
    >
    > Ok.
    >
    > > I did not say that target "drives the data-out sequencing" for unsolicited
    > > data, only that the target drives the *error recovery* for all data-out (assuming
    > > it received the command, so has the ITT context).
    >
    > Ahh...
    >
    > > Let me attempt to rephrase.  A digest error as an example, taken on
    > > one of the unsolicited data PDUs, would have to be recovered by the
    > > target sending a recovery R2T - IOW, target driving the Data-Out PDU
    > > recovery is true even for unsolicited data.
    > >
    > > If I understand you correctly, you seem to suggest that retries may carry
    > > different header flags (F-bit and no-F-bit) - it's illegal.  Take a look at 5.2.1.
    >
    > Yes, you are correct that that's what the spec says about the packet.
    >
    > Well, here's what I thought was the mess. You're suggesting that, when
    > REtransmitting a command, it is ok to send a command that indicates we're
    > sending more PDUs (F-bit not set) and to then NOT send them as we're
    > plugging a command hole. That really strikes me as a protocol violation.
    > It may not be by the letter of the protocol, but it just seems wrong. I
    > mean I doubt we be happy with an implementation that did that on the
    > initial transmission, so why do it on the retransmission?
    >
    > Think about what's going to happen to this command (assuming I understand
    > you right). Either we are really plugging a hole or we aren't. If we
    > aren't, the target will drop the repeat and the unsolicited data on the
    > floor.
    >
    > But if we really are plugging a hole, we send this one command and then we
    > have to wait until the target times out and requests error recovery R2Ts.
    > i.e. because of that one error, we now have to wait both the initiator and
    > the target timeout period before things start to get fixed. Also, having a
    > perceived error state on the initiator's side need the target to perceive
    > an error to fully recover seems cumbersome.
    >
    > If that's really considered the best thing to do, well, it will work. It
    > just seems sub-optimal.
    >
    > Take care,
    >
    > Bill

Last updated: Thu Aug 08 13:18:54 2002