    Re: Unsolicited data PDU retry

    On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Mallikarjun C. wrote:

    > Tony,
    >
    > In addition to what Julian said, let me add one more comment.
    >
    > Initiator is not expected to initiate any Data-Out recovery on its own -
    > without being requested so via a recovery R2T by the target.  The unsolicited
    > data PDU retry is not advised.  This follows from the design goal (e)
    > in section 5.1.2 (top of page 80 in rev15) - only one side drives error
    > recovery for a given class of PDUs, and target does it for Data-Out.
    >
    > Hope that clarifies.

    Mallikarjun,

    How can that be correct, though?

    Maybe I'm mis-understanding something (or thinking you're side-stepping
    something you're not), but it seems like that could lead to a mess.

    First off, while you're right that the target drives data-out sequencing
    with R2Ts, initial data is a little different. The initiator drives that,
    subject to negotiation and spec rules. It decides if it wants to use
    Immediate Data or unsolicited PDUs (assuming negotiations permit it).

    From Julian's comment:

    > As for the data our assumption has been that target will drop data for
    > non-instantiated tasks (not a known ITT).

    If we are retransmitting the command because we think it didn't get
    received, then doesn't it seem sensible to conclude that the above text
    triggered all of the unsolicited data getting dropped?

    Also, at a basic level, regardless of retransmission or not, if the
    initiator (re)sends a command PDU that indicates it will use unsolicited
    data (F bit not set in command PDU), then doesn't it always have to send
    the unsolicited data it just promised??

    I could see an initiator choosing to retransmit a command without
    immediate and unsolicited data (no data in PDU and F-bit set) and that
    normal R2Ts would take over from there. But we don't require it to do so
    at present, and if the initiator chooses to indicate the presence of
    unsolicited PDUs, then I'd expect it to have to send them.

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Wed Aug 07 19:18:53 2002
11561 messages in chronological order