    Re: iSCSI question

    Julian-

    Your comment is accurate, but I just want to make sure that the
    readers take "last resort" properly.  From a technical, iSCSI
    point of view, it's the last resort.

    However, from a practical (implementation/deployment) point of
    view, session recovery is not all that drastic.  We have been
    shipping iSCSI drivers and targets that do session recovery for
    quite a while, and it works just quite well for disks (the OS
    SCSI layer handles any retries), and for tape applications that
    support re-positioning, which are becoming more common.  We
    have spent a significant amount of time testing this both in
    our lab and in the field.

    <SOAPBOX>
    Once tape device and driver vendors support SSC-2, there should be
    no need to do more than session recovery, except perhaps for
    some performance advantages environments where a lot of connection
    recovery needs to take place.  But for most iSCSI environments,
    doing more than session recovery is not necessary.
    </SOAPBOX>

    --
    Mark

    --