    Re: iSCSI: plugfest4 issues

    Julian:

    Would you please clarify your answer to issue 2 below:

    Do you mean the target should simply disconnect in all cases of a PDU
    received during Login Phase that is not a Login Request PDU, or only
    when the first PDU received during Login Phase is not a Login Request?

    If the answer is "all cases", then there would appear to be no need
    for the Login Response Status code 0x020b "Invalid Request type during
    Login" and it should be removed to avoid further confusion.

    I believe disconnect is fully justified when the first PDU in Login
    Phase is not a Login Request, for both security and implementation
    reasons, as stated in a posting by Eddy Quicksall.  However, after the
    first Login Request PDU has been successfully received, the Login Phase
    has clearly begun and it seems to me easier then to deal with all errors
    on the target side, including reception of a non-Login Request PDU, in the
    same manner, which is to send back a Login-Reject with the appropriate
    status code and then close the connection.  I believe this is why the
    0x020b Status code was introduced, and could anticipate the usefulness
    of having this if, for example, the initiator concludes Login Phase
    and begins sending FFP PDUs, but for whatever reason the target has not
    concluded Login Phase and continues to expect to receive only Login
    Request PDUs.

    Thank you,

    Bob Russell

    > 2. The last paragraph of section 2.2.3 says:
    >
    >    "Before the Full Feature Phase is established, only Login Request and
    >    Login Response PDUs are allowed. Any other PDU, when received at ini-
    >    tiator or target, is a protocol error and MUST result in the connec-
    >    tion being terminated. ..."
    >
    >    The question is the following:  is this rule literally true for the
    >    target (i.e., can the target disconnect as soon as it receives a
    >    non-Login PDU from the initiator) or does the target have to first
    >    send a Login Response with Login reject PDU before disconnecting, as
    >    it does for all other errors detected by the target during Login
    >    Phase (according to section 4.3.1)?
    >
    >    A related question is: does the target take the same action when
    >    the very first PDU it receives on a new TCP connection is not a
    >    Login Request PDU?
    >
    >    If the target has to send the Login reject PDU before disconnecting,
    >    then the last paragraph of section 2.2.3 should be reworded along
    >    the following lines (modeled after the last paragraph of section 4.3):
    >
    >    "Before the Full Feature Phase is established, only Login Request
    >    and Login Response PDUs are allowed.  If the target receives any PDU
    >    other than Login Request, it must send a Login reject (code 0x020b)
    >    and then disconnect.  If the initiator receives any PDU other than
    >    Login Response, it MUST drop the connection. ..."
    >
    >    This wording would also appear to cover the case of when the very first
    >    PDU a target receives on a new TCP connection is not a Login Request.
    > +++ I would suggest sticking with disconnecting. +++

Last updated: Thu Aug 01 20:18:54 2002
11513 messages in chronological order