    clarification on TargetAddress and TargetName usage

    • To: <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: clarification on TargetAddress and TargetName usage
    • From: "Dean Scoville" <dean.scoville@qlogic.com>
    • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:47:49 -0700
    • content-class: urn:content-classes:message
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Julian,
    I would like clarification on when the "TargetAddress" and
    "TargetName" keys can be sent by the target:

    Section 10 of the spec lists the keys that can be sent during
    SecurityNegotiation stage, and states that all other keys
    MUST NOT be used... "TargetAddress"  does not appear in
    the list, but section 11.8 shows "TargetAddress" usage as
    "Any-Stage". If I understand correctly, the target must send its
    address when returning a redirect status, and this can occur during
    SecurityNegotiation stage. If this is true, could you please
    add "TargetAddress" to the list of acceptable keys in section 10.

    Section 11.4 states "The TargetName key may also be returned
    by the 'SendTargets' text request (which is the only use when
    issued by a target)." If I interpret this correctly, it means that the
    target can only send the "TargetName" key in response to a
    SendTargets request-- which only occurs during full feature phase.
    But section 11.4 also states the key's usage as "ALL by target".
    Should the usage be changed to "FFPO by target", or are there
    other cases besides a 'SendTargets' response when the target
    is allowed to send this key?
    regards,

    Dean Scoville
    dean.scoville@qlogic.com