    RE: iSCSI: need for new data SNACK code?

    Fair enough.  That is actually what I meant about being able to recalculate
    it somehow; although, I did not have it developed quite so neatly.  However,
    your argument applies to both the previous discussion, and also seems to
    fall in David's favor, because the necessary state would need to be saved
    anyway (for any retransmission to happen).

    I guess what I was confused about is how this argues against having another
    opcode for the SNACK and against the target being the one catching the error
    condition.

    Sincerely,
    Randy Jennings
    Data Transit

    IOW,
    > what I am suggesting is that a target can translate a DataSN to a buffer
    offset
    > (even with PDU size changes) with *much* less metadata, *if* it always
    sends
    > MaxRecvDataSegmentLegth sized data-in PDUs except possibly for the last
    PDU.
    > Any retransmission request would have to take the aforementioned
    size_changed_from
    > and PDU_size_history arrays into consideration, and calculate the
    > buffer offset accordingly.

    > > > I am afraid there's no free lunch here.  In this description, you're
    now
    > > > expecting targets to maintain the PDU size of every PDU that it
    shipped
    > > > for each of the tasks, which causes a metadata explosion.  This was
    discussed
    > > > by Eddy Quicksall and myself in an earlier thread - "changing
    MaxPDUDataLength".

    > > However, I do not remember what was said about knowing the length of the
    > > PDU.  From this isolated discussion, though, it seems like you would at
    > > least be able to recalculate the length of the PDU at all times
    > > or you could never send it again.  (Unless you redid all the steps that
    got
    > > to that point in the first place, and I do not think that is possible
    based
    > > off a PDU id
    > > number...)

Last updated: Mon Jul 15 19:18:52 2002