    RE: iSCSI: DLB's Comment on SCSI Port Names

    Marjorie,

    Thanks for your complete and timely answer.

    "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <marjorie_krueger@hp.com>

    07/11/2002 05:15 AM
    Please respond to "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)"

            To:        Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
            cc:        ips <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
            Subject:        RE: iSCSI: DLB's Comment on SCSI Port Names

    Julo,
    I'm a bit confused as the issues list on your website does not have this as issue 37, and all I see is issue 9 (where your comment appears to imply "no change"?)

    In any case, here's what I recommend:

    In sec 1.1 Definitions change the following definitions to:

    I_T Nexus:  the last sentence should be

    The I_T nexus can be identified by the conjunction of the SCSI port names; that is, the I_T nexus identifier is the tuple (iSCSI Initiator Name + ',i,'+ ISID, iSCSI Target Name + ',t,'+ Portal Group Tag).

    SCSI Port Name: definition should be

    A name made up as UTF-8 characters and includes the  iSCSI Name + ',i,' or ',t,' + ISID or Portal Group Tag

    In sec 2.2.7, 1st paragraph, delete the comment in parenthesis starting with "(for iSCSI,.." (or change it to point it to section 2.4.2, your choice).

    In sec 2.4.2, change the text to:

      When used in SCSI parameter data, the SCSI port name MUST be encoded as:
         - The iSCSI Name in UTF-8 format, followed by
         - a comma separator (1 byte), followed by
         - the ASCII character 'i' (for SCSI Initiator Port) or the
          ASCII character 't' (for SCSI Target Port), followed by
         - a comma separator (1 byte), followed by

          - A string representation (<numerical-value>, see section 4.1 Text Format)
           of the ISID (for SCSI initiator port) or the portal group tag (for SCSI target port).
          SCSI port names have a maximum length of 255 bytes.

           The ASCII character 'i' or 't' is the label that identifies this port
           as either a SCSI Initiator Port or a SCSI Target Port.
    The 255 max port name makes for a 237 max iSCSI node name (check my math Jim :-) as the max character representation of an ISID is 15 characters for the largest decimal representation (14 char for the largest hex), + 3 char (",i,") + 237 = 255

    The change in max node name causes changes to:

    sec 2.2.6.1, paragraph 2,
    sec 2.2.6.2, 2nd p, 3rd bullet

    I will see that a change is proposed to Annex A in whatever SAM doc is currently under revision.

    Thanks,
    Marjorie Krueger
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Networked Storage Solutions Org.