    RE: iSCSI: need for new data SNACK code?

    > > If the target makes
    > > its own choice to resegment, and the initiator doesn't think the
    > > target resegmented, there are error scenarios that combine this with
    > > corrupt Data PDU headers to cause the initiator to successfully
    > > complete a SCSI command that has not delivered all its data
    > > (the resegmented PDUs caused the Data PDU count to match the ExpDataSN
    > > value in the response that should have been discarded, but wasn't).
    > > While these should be rare, their consequences can be catastrophic.
    >
    > What do you mean by "if the target makes it's own choice to resegment"?
    > Sounds like a target bug to me.  It feels like you're making this look more
    > complicated than it really is.

    The only promise the target has made to the initiator is that it will not
    send a segment larger than MaxRecvDataSegmentLength. It is free to segment
    to any size <= to that and to change that size, for its own purposes, at
    any point in time w/o notifying the initiator. I don't think the spec says
    anything about requiring the target to use a constant segment size.
    Therefore, the described behavior is perfectly legal and not a bug as you
    seem to believe.

    Dave

Last updated: Thu Jul 11 22:18:53 2002
11291 messages in chronological order