    RE: iSCSI: DLB [T.31] ErrorRecoveryLevel 0.5

    There is nothing in the draft explicitly forbidding the behavior you
    suggest, but there is no intent to allow it.  You have no way of knowing
    whether "using only a small portion of ERL 1" when ERL 0 was negotiated will
    cause problems at the target end or not, since it's not a defined "feature"
    and therefore may have unexpected consequences. IMO, it's bad behavior.  If
    you've added code "to attempt to recover", just implement ERL 1.  If you
    think there should be some interim level of error recovery between 0 and 1,
    present a compelling argument for it and get it specified in the draft.
    Otherwise your implementation is behaving in an undefined manner and IMO,
    that's asking for trouble.  It all goes back to the "testing matrix" that's
    defined by the features outlined in the draft - you are proposing that
    there's an infinite testing matrix because it's ok to behave in a manner
    that's not defined, as long as it's not forbidden?

    Regards,
    Marjorie

Last updated: Thu Jul 11 18:18:52 2002
11281 messages in chronological order