    iSCSI: DLB's Last Call T18 comment

    John,

    [T.18] 6.7  SCSI Timeouts

       On a ULP timeout for a command (that carried a CmdSN of n), the iSCSI
       initiator MUST abort the command by either using the Abort Task task
       management function request, or a "close the connection" Logout if it
       intends to continue the session.

    I think the first part is over specified - there are a number of task
    management
    commands that abort the task - if the target is really sick, something much
    more serious than Abort Task may be used that not only aborts this task,
    but others.  It's not clear whether "if it intends to continue the session"
    applies only to the logout or to both the task management command and the
    logout, nor is it clear what an initiator should do if it doesn't intend to
    continue the session.

    > I do not follow your issue with T18.  Time outs can occur for reason that
    > are not something that needs more drastic action.  If fact I would assume
    > that it generally does not need other actions.

    It's actually a minor issue in the text - the current text requires that
    an Abort Task be issued if the connection is not logged out with the
    intent to continue the session - it should allow any task management
    function that aborts a task to be used so that an initiator that decides
    CLEAR TASK SET or LUN RESET is appropriate doesn't also have to issue
    additional ABORT TASK functions in order to comply with the MUST.

    +1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018

Last updated: Wed Jul 10 05:18:48 2002
11229 messages in chronological order