    iSCSI: DLB's Last Call T15 comment

    John,

    [T.15] 4.3.1  Login Phase Start

       The first Login Response PDU during the Login Phase from the iSCSI
       target SHOULD return the TargetPortalGroupTag key that contains the
       tag value of the iSCSI portal group servicing the Login Request PDU.
       If the iSCSI target implementation supports altering the portal group
       configuration (including adding, deleting, and swapping of portals in
       a portal group), it MUST return the TargetPortalGroupTag key carry-
       ing the tag value of the servicing portal group.

    Let's make returning this key a MUST in all cases - less text, simpler
    protocol, simpler code at the Initiator.

    > The item numbered T15, had a lot of discussions, especially in the Naming
    > and Discovery Team, and the current wordage was the results of a
    > compromise, where a number of vendors did not have the issue, and strongly
    > felt that it would be the wrong thing to do with their product.  So we
    > agreed that the SHOULD section would be the right answer for
    > every one.

    This sort of compromise leads to "MAY", not "SHOULD".  I
    suggest summarizing the NDT discussion to the list, as it's now an issue
    to be settled here.

    +1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018

Last updated: Tue Jul 09 14:18:53 2002
11208 messages in chronological order